Wednesday, May 04, 2011

No. 18

It's that time of year again...Softball season has started! This is Annabelle's second year playing. She is # 18 and plays for Select Electric. She was in the Coach Pitch league last year but this year she is in the minors. It's a whole new ballgame for her! The girls do the pitching in this league. Annabelle is finding it a bit frustrating because the pitches are not the best as you can imagine with little girls just learning the ropes. She was hit by a few pitches during practice which has now made her a bit skiddish at the plate but, I am confident as the season goes on she will gain confidence and the pitchers will fineness their skills.

Saturday they had their first game in Westown. It was supposed to be a pretty warm day but it ended up being a bit chilly due to the wind. That didn't stop the girls from playing a great game! Of course Annabelle had her own little cheering section...and mom may or may not have been her loudest cheerleader!
Here is Annabelle up to bat for the first time...boy oh boy was I nervous for her! She did great though and got a hit which landed her at first base!
She batted a few more times after that. She did strike out once, but although I may be a bit bias, I am just sure the ref made a bad call on that one.  She made it all the way to home as well, but the run didn't count because the batter ended up being the third out. She told us before the game she was going to slide into home base if she made it that far so when the ball was hit and she started running home I was in the background yelling like a maniac, "Slide! Slide!" She didn't of course, but I can just picture the crowd going wild if she had. That's just not something you usually see these young girls do. I wont put it past her to do it sometime by the end of the season! Sure would make her Grandpa Lenn proud!
She also made the last play of the game. She was playing second base and there was a runner on first. The batter hit the ball towards her and she scooped it up. At first I thought she was going to try to throw it to first but just as she stood up the runner ran behind her and she turned and tagged her out! I again, may or may not having been yelling. "Tag her! Tag her!" but that it really besides the point. I was so proud of her for having her head in the game and making a great play!
The game started out slow but over all it was a lot of fun. Although we will be very busy this month with practices and games nearly every night I am very much looking forward to the rest of the season!

No comments: