Mother’s Day…a day created (by someone other than a mom, I’m sure) to celebrate moms. A day for children and husbands to thank mom for all that she does and tell her how much they love her…and if she’s lucky, pick up after themselves for once without being told!
Being a mom on Mother’s Day isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Like many of you, we celebrated (in the loosest term of the word) this past weekend. Honestly, I wasn't really all that excited about it. People would ask what my big plans were and in the back of my mind I was thinking, "Same thing I always do...be a mom and take care of everybody else." When what I really wanted was for the tables to be turned, I wanted to be the one that everyone else took care of. I wanted my needs to be met first before theirs. And a quiet, peaceful day with no arguing or fighting would be the frosting on the cake! I didn't need silly or expensive gifts. I just wanted the favor returned.
Well, it didn't quite go like that. I had spent the last few days before the holiday feeling unloved and unappreciated, which made the day sort of bitter sweet for me. I love being a mom, but it's a tough job no matter which way you slice it. In the end the day ended up being one of the nicest I've ever had....
The kids stayed the night before at their grandparents house and my husband ended up having to go into work Sunday morning. So, I woke up to a quiet and peaceful house. No arguing or fighting there. Gee, maybe I should be careful what I wish for. It was almost to quiet...emphasis on almost. The rest of the day I spent at church and with my parents. We didn't do anything overly exciting, but it was nice to spend time with them while the kids played outside in the beautiful sunshine. The kids made me some beautiful homemade gifts that I just love. I would take those any day over expensive store bought things. I especially loved the flowers they made. So precious!
My husband ended up working six more hours than he had planned, and I was kind of bummed that we couldn't spend the day together and that he wasn't home to "take care of me," but at least he was working to provide for me (us.) I really didn't expect him to come home with anything since the day was practically over anyway, but he did surprise me with a beautiful hanging basket. He also got me the sweetest card that said exactly what I needed to hear. Even though they might not always say out loud how much I am loved, or that they notice how much I do for them, I am and they do. It turned my "frown upside down" as they say. It made a day that seemed much like any other into something special. Funny how far a few kind words can go!
I hope that all you other mom's out there who wonder sometimes if it's worth it were given a sweet reminder that is! I love my family, and I love being a mom! Even though it's not all wine and roses, there honestly isn't one thing I would change. So, I will just continue on caring for my family in the best way I know how and hope that every once in awhile I'll hear those three precious words, "Thank you Mom!"
Happy (belated) Mother's Day to all my mommy friends!
P.S.
Thank you to my mom for being such wonderful example to me! I would not be able to be the mom I am if it were not for you! You have shown me what it is to love when it's hard, to forgive when you don't want to and to sacrifice for your children's sake. I really can not express in words how much I love you!!
No comments:
Post a Comment