Thursday, August 20, 2009

Answers

Since I posted about the laundry soap the other day I have had quite a few people asking me some very valid questions, which I suppose I should have thought to write about in the first place. So, here they are...

How does it compare to other soaps? First, it does not get sudsy, but it cleans really well...my husband had an ink pen break in his shirt pocket at work, came home threw it in the wash (no pre-treatment) and it came out clean!

How much does it cost? I bought a 3 pack of Ivory soap for about $1, the fels-naptha was $1.59, the Borax was 3.99 and the washing soda was $2.99...BUT you only use ONE cup of the borax and washing soda/batch so it should make quite a few.

How much for each load? I use about 1/2 cup and that seems to work.

How long does each batch last? Obviously that depends on how much laundry you do, but we have a family of 6 and I would say the first batch my friend made lasted about 3-4 months! You could make a double batch and be good for quite awhile!

How does it smell? It has a very mild smell...mostly like the ivory soap....i think it smells fresh and clean :)

Hope this helps and I'm glad that so many of you are interested in making this laundry soap!! YAY!

p.s. I bought a cheese grater for $2.99 at target, and the pot at the salvation army for $3 and the rubber maid tub was about $7....but obviously this is a one time expense and I'm sure that you could use what you already have if you wanted to save even more.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out!!
- Show quoted text -

3 comments:

Hannah said...

another thing to note:

we ran into a lot of poison ivy this year at our new place...and in my research, I found that the only way to get the poison ivy oils out of your clothing is with Fels-naptha!

woo hoo! another great reason to use this!

i was excited, because the first thing we do now after working out in the yard, is the strip down and wash out clothes...now, I know the oils are being taken care of!

Julie Camacho said...

Jen-
Thank you so much for the answers. I told my hubby about it. We used to get a HUGE bottle of liquid tide for $3 and we stocked up...It lasted us over a year! But we are on our last bottle and we are not able to buy it like that anymore. My hubby was excited to hear about the homemade detergent and the fact that I would be willing to make it. We have a family of seven. I'm glad to hear one batch lasts your family for so long. I spent $18 total for all the ingredients. I had to order the Fels Naptha through the internet. It was only .99 a bar, but shipping was $4.95. So I bought about 5 bars. I wish I could find that locally. I also realized that I bought Aloe Ivory...I'm hoping that won't affect anything. It was about $1 for 3 bars! The borax and the washing soda was about $4 each. I think I am going to buy a five gallon bucket with a lid at Home Depot. It would be cool to find a five gallon (something) with a spout at the bottom. I'm waiting for my soap to come iin the mail...can't wait to try the recipe. My mom wants to try it too!

Hannah said...

Julie...

I don't think that a spout on the bottom of your 5 gallon bucket would help you any...this stuff is usually pretty thick (kinda like half set jell-o, or even a little thicker) so, I've found the best way to get it in your washer is with a plain ole boring cup!
Good luck! Hope you love it!