Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Today...

...we are celebrating my oldest daughter's 10th birthday! Just for fun I thought I'd share what my day was like ten years ago when my precious daughter made me a mom for the first time and changed my life forever.
2001
January 5, 2001....6 days past my original due date...about 5:30 am I started getting really bad cramps and by 6:30 I had assumed that they were contractions, so we decided to call the doctor. She told us to come in and get checked but that there was no rush since this was my first. Andy and I took showers, ate breakfast and made some important phone calls, including one to Andy's aunt Deb who's birthday also happened to be that very day! Boy was she excited! Of course I was excited too...I had been waiting so long to meet our little bundle of joy.

When we arrived to the hospital (around 8 am) they hooked me up to the monitors to listen to the baby and track my contractions which were every 2-3 minutes apart. Eventually they told that I would not be leaving there without a baby in my arms. My heart soared, yet I was nervous for what laid ahead...I had no idea what to expect during labor.

Most of the morning labor progressed slowly for me...Andy and I walked the halls, around and around trying to get things moving. The contractions were continuous and grew stronger and stronger. We had lots of family and friends there to keep us company while we waited. Our parents, siblings, my best friend Hannah, and even Andy's cousin Alex spent the whole day with us. There was even a friendly game of euchre!

Finally around 12:30 the doctor broke my water in hopes of helping things progress faster...and it sure did kick things up a notch! WOWZER! Andy was such a trooper...putting into practice all the things he had learned in La Ma's class, rubbing my back, helping me breath and whatever else he could think of. I rejected most of his efforts though...I just needed my space and I didn't want to be touched...poor thing!

Eventually it was time...and it was a good thing too because I had just told the doctor that I didn't want to do this anymore. I was ready to go home! Of course...that didn't happen...thankfully!

About 20 minutes after I started pushing our little baby made her way into the world at 3:28 pm and weighing 7lbs 5 oz. We were never able to find out via ultrasound what we were having but we were all sure it would be a boy...so you can imagine our surprise when the doctor announced..."It's a GIRL!" But in that very moment we couldn't have been any happier. She was perfect in every way! And just like the Grinch...my heart grew ten sizes that day! When the doctor laid her on my chest for the very first time all I can remember thinking was, "She's really mine...all mine!"
Everyone was so happy to finally meet her, this little girl who was the first granddaughter and the first niece. She was already loved beyond imagination in just her first few moments. She stole our hearts and the rest is history.
2011
So...there it is...Annabelle's very first day. Ten years later I barely remember the details ( in fact, I had to look at my journal just to make sure) But in these past 10 years we have made so many wonderful memories together as mother and daughter. She is my first and will always hold that special place in my heart. I hope you enjoyed reminiscing with me...now please excuse me while I go blow my nose!

2 comments:

Campbellfamily121501 said...

AWWWW!!! I remember quite a bit about it too! You forgot Seth was there :) I was so excited for my first NIECE, and even more excited she decided to come while I was on Christmas break from Spring Arbor so I could be there to meet her!! I love you Annabelle!

Hannah said...

oh I remember that day like it was yesterday! so much fun and so exciting for all of us!
and I feel so blessed to have been a part of those special memories!

I love you Annabelle! (my first niece!)