Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays.
Okay...I am sitting here watching The View (yes, I admit it) and they are having a heated conversation (gasp!) about what kind of cards you should send and if what the card says is going to offend the receiver. Some of them think you should send cards that honor the holiday you celebrate and the others think you should send cards that honor the holiday the receiver celebrates so as not to offend them.
I have heard so many times that people take offense when someone says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas because you are taking Christ out of the holiday. And I have heard that if you only say Merry Christmas that you are excluding those who don't celebrate Christmas. I understand both sides, but what I don't understand is why you would be offended in the least when anyone is wishing you well no matter what you personally celebrate or believe!
I am a Christian and I know why we celebrate Christmas, but I am not so close-minded to realize that there are others who do not. That is there own personal choice, just as it is my own personal choice. I personally do say Merry Christmas to those I encounter because that's what comes naturally to me, not because I think people are going to know I'm a Christian because that's what I said. Just as when someone wishes me a Happy Holidays, I don't automatically think...oh, they must not believe in Christ, to bad for them. No, instead I think, how nice, they were thinking of me! Really, isn't that the attitude that Christ would want us to have? He wants us to love all, even those who do not believe or celebrate his birth. We should NOT be offended!!
I think sometimes we need to step back and see the bigger picture, to see what is really important, to reach out and share Christs love in whatever way we can. And if that means excepting someones Happy Holiday wishes with an open heart and mind then so be it. I know Christ would!
I'm sure everyone who reads this will have their own opinion and some will agree and some will not. And you know what....I am okay with that! So....
MERRY CHRISTMAS, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa and Happy whatever else! God bless you all this holiday season!
6 comments:
Oh gosh Jen!
I could not have said it better myself! I competely agree with every aspect of what you said! I normally say Merry Christmas, but I have also said "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings" only because I am including the New Year holiday as well. Honestly, I never gave it a second thought of removing Christ from the holiday! What a well written piece! Is your blog public? Because if it is, would you care if I shared your link with some friends? I think this is just beautiful and perfect and more people should read it! Yay Jen!
Go Jenn!
I love this post!!!
You've said it all perfectly!
Love ya!
Nicely said! In all actuality, putting Christ's birth into Christmas was kind of almost an afterthought. It was originally a winter solstice celebration. I celebrate the season/holiday in its entirety. I used to get upset at the "happy holidays" thing, but only because I didn't know what all was packed into this time of year. I say Merry Christmas because that's what I celebrate, but don't mind Happy Holidays, because you are thinking of the other person. As far as offending someone, I think that we know what our friends celebrate for the most part and try to plan accordingly and don't think that people should take offence like they do.
Totally agree!! Ugh, The View. How is that show even on tv anymore?
And wanted to say thanks for your comment.
Amen sister!
The people who get offended at whatever greeting you send them are sad people who are looking for a reason to be scrooges! :)
Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Post a Comment