Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Finally...
Most of you know about the complications I have been having with this pregnancy, but for those that don't, here's a little recap:

I have been dealing with high blood pressure from the beginning of this pregnancy. My doctor felt that it may have been more of a chronic situation rather than a pregnancy related one since it was so early in the pregnancy...that means that I may have had high BP before I got pregnant. Then a few weeks ago I ended up with protein in my urine. The two symptoms together are classic signs of pre-eclampsia. I was very upset about this because I had dealt with it the last few weeks of Sammy's pregnancy and it was a very unpleasant experience. It upset me even more because it was so early. I ended up having to do a few 24 hr urine tests and have some blood work done to make sure my liver was functioning correctly. Because of all this, my doctor decided it would be best to refer me to an actual OB doctor in order to get a better assessment of the situation and to have another opinion as to what course of action should be taken.

Last week I had another appointment with my doctor. My blood pressure was still high, but lower than it had been at my previous appointment. The results from my last 24 hr test showed that the protein levels were dropping, but still a little high. But, the sample I gave in the office showed no protein! So over all it was a good appointment in a way. She still didn't want to make any decisions until I saw the other doctor...which leads to today.

Today I met with Dr. Lieberman at the Women's Practice in Midland. He was very nice and very thorough. He decided that at this point I do not have pre-eclampsia. He said that I have gestational hypertension (high BP brought on by pregnancy) and gave me a prescription to help control my high BP. He also said that I would still need to do 24 hr urine tests just to make sure that the protein isnt doing anything crazy and I will have to do some non-stress tests to make sure the baby is doing well. Next week he is sending me to a high-risk doctor in Saginaw. They will do a very detailed ultra-sound there! I am very excited about that part. And because of all that is going on my doctor has turned my care over to this office. I am also very excited and some what relieved about that. I have heard many good things about them and feel very comfortable in their care...even after just one visit! Mostly I am just happy and thankful to finally have some answers. I feel like I finally know what is going on and what is going to be done about it.

The doctor also listened to the baby's heart beat today. A strong 160. I have to say this little one is a bit of a stinker though. Last week my doctor searched for about 5 minutes trying to find the baby. Finally she found the baby high and to the right. And just when she pushed down the baby kicked or jumped really hard. I wasnt expecting it and it scared me so bad that I practically jumped off the table. Which of course scared the doctor who jumped back across the room! She thought she hurt me, but it was just the baby. Then we were both laughing so hard it still took her a few minutes to find the heart beat. Today, I told the doctor where the baby usually was and sure enough as soon as he pushed down the baby kicked really hard. Then he "swam" away and made it difficult for the doctor to listen to the heart beat! So yes, we have a little stinker on our hands!!

4 comments:

Callie said...

A little stinker that is already full of life. How blessed you are. I hope that things continue to look up for you throughout the rest of pregnancy.
Love and God Bless!
~Callie

Diane Davies said...

Wow sounds like you've been through the ringer. Try and take it easy and relax. Oh yeah, you have other kids - so there's no relaxing for you is there?!! : )

Shoemaker Family said...

Wow, Jenn. I'll be praying for you. I had no idea you were having BP issues. I had these same issues with TUcker, but NOT with Toby! It was able to be controlled by meds and extra observation as well. Can't wait to meet the little 'stinker'! :)

Lisa said...

Ashley had the same problems with James as far as trying to get him to be still long enough to find his heartbeat! I was pretty sure he would be a "busy" boy once he arrived and sure enough, he is. I'll be praying for the BP issue but it sounds to me like the doctors have a really good hand on things. I'm glad you finally got some answers!