Monday, October 03, 2011

First Kill

Add caption
October 2, 2011
Last night I went on my very first bow hunt. Okay, technically it was my second, but I don't really count my first time since I was put up in a tree stand in the pouring rain with no idea what I was doing. The only thing I got that time was wet! This was the first time that I got to go out being prepared and feeling sure of my shooting abilities. Andy and I sat in a double tree stand together on some state land in Omer. He was an excellent coach and I felt very confident knowing he was by my side. The first few hours we watched blue jays fly back and forth and fight over the corn in the bait pile. Eventually two small does wondered in. One went straight to the bait pile and started munching away. The other, was a little more timid and cautious. In fact she retreated back into the trees for a little bit but eventually she made her way back out to the edge of the trees. The one at the bait pile seemed to have no worries in the world and thoroughly seemed to be enjoying her apple treats. After watching for awhile I stood up and prepared to take a shot if presented with one, but I really debated whether or not I wanted to take a small doe for my first kill, especially since it was still a bit early in the evening.  Andy and I discussed it back and forth but he ultimately left the choice up to me. I held my ground for quite awhile just watching and waiting. I had plenty of opportunity to shoot if I had wanted to but I was still unsure. Finally I decided I was going to do it and just after I drew back something spooked them and they ran off! To be honest I was a little disappointed and thought for sure I had just blown my chance to get a deer on my first night out. I decided at that moment that the next deer I saw I was going to take if given the opportunity. Luckily for me that little deer was mighty hungry! As she started walking back in I went to stand up and my bow hit the side of the tree stand making an awful racket. Needless to say she ran off again. Rookie mistake numero uno! I have to say though, it seemed to be my lucky night. This doe really, really wanted to eat! She was a little ticked off now though so she started stomping the ground and snorting at me. She was trying to call me out but she couldn't fool this hunter. Finally she gave up and went back towards a trail near the bait pile and disappeared for a moment. Suddenly she started walking back into the clearing about 30 yards away. I knew this was my chance, it was now or never. So, I stood up, drew back, aimed,  took a deep breath and let one fly....right over her back!!! Unbelievable! I blew it again!

But as you know, that is not how this story ends. Much to my surprise she came right back in on the exact same path that I had just shot at her. So...I stood up again, drew back, aimed a little better, took a deep breath and let it rip! Bulls eye!!!! I got her!! I couldn't believe it! What an amazing feeling!! Luckily Andy was there to hold onto me as I jumped up and down with excitement!

(Note to new hunters: it's probably best NOT to jump in a tree stand...rookie mistake #2) 

After I shot her we sat in the tree stand for eternity awhile eventually making our way down after I stopped shaking. We walked over to where I shot and found both arrows with in 3 feet of each other! Then we started in on the blood trail. I insisted on tracking her all by myself...luckily for me she left a great blood trail and we found her within 50 yards! I can't even describe what I felt in that moment. She wasn't the biggest trophy but for my first time I was truly proud of my accomplishment and determination! And having my husband by my side to share it with made it even better!

Needless to say I am totally hooked now! I can't wait to get back out in the woods! I just have to be careful not to show up my hubby to bad or he might not let me go anymore :)

No comments: