After that, Mom and I decided we should get some rest (or at least try) before the doctor came to see me. Like, I said in my previous post, I pretty much spent the next hour talking and praying, and even pleading with God. I rested my eyes, but I didn't really get any sleep, mostly for the obvious reasons, but also because those hospital beds are like lying on a slab of concrete...ugh!
About 7 am the nurse came in to take my vitals and to let me know the doctor would be there about 9ish. Well, there was no going to sleep after that so I decided to take a shower and get around as much as possible that way I could be ready in case the doctor gave me the go-ahead. I was really hoping and praying that she would let me go, but of course I would have stayed put if the doctor recommended I get more rest.
Thankfully, that was not the case. The doctor finally made her way in around 10 am, give or take. She examined me, asked all sorts of questions, discussed what could have happened with Sydney, and went over things that I needed to watch out for concerning my health. Then she said she would sign my discharge papers so I could go see my precious baby. Praise God!
While we were waiting for the discharge papers I spoke to Andy on the phone. I could hear the fear and relief in his voice all at once. He was very relieved that I was on my way, but he was also very worried about me because, well...I just gave birth!! I have to admit, I was nervous and worried myself, but I needed to be with them both and they needed me...and in my opinion I couldn't get there fast enough.
Mom and I were a little nervous about having drive to the hospital ourselves because we really had no clue where we were going, but once again God pulled through for us. My mom had called my dad to let him know what was going on...he was back at home with the kids...and he told her that Aunt Deb had just showed up at their house to take the kids, and Stephanie was going to drive him to the Midland so he could take us to Saginaw! Another prayer answered just like that!
Finally somewhere between noon and 1pm I received my discharge instructions and was wheeled out to the truck. It felt so strange to be leaving so soon. This may sound strange, but I was really looking forward to staying at the hospital for a few days for a "mini vacation"...ya know, getting waited on hand and foot, and having someone to watch the baby while I rested. I know...it's weird, but as a mom of 4, that counts as a vacation in my book!
The ride from Midland to Saginaw was very long, or at least it felt that way, but the three minutes we had to scrub our hands and arms before going in the nursery to see Sydney was even longer! But...we were finally there and that's what mattered most.
I wasn't really sure what to expect once I got to see her, but this is what she looked like...
The nurses were great, and explained what every wire or tube was for, and what they were doing for her. Then they lifted the lid on the incubator so I could kiss my sweet baby for the first time in more than 12 hrs. It was the best kiss ever!
Stayed tuned for part 3 coming soon....
No comments:
Post a Comment