Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years Past
9/11/2008...seven years later and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Not that it really had anything to do with me personally, but it touched my heart and my mind all the same. I remember waking up and turning on the tv as was my usual habit. And I clearly remember my jaw dropping and my heart sinking as I watched in horror as a plane hit the second twin tower. Never in my life would I thought I would have been witness to something so horrible. I remember holding Annabelle, who was only 9 months, and sobbing for the tremendous loss of life and for those who would never hold their loved ones again. I remember the fear that went through me as I wondered what was to become of our country...of our lives as we knew them. I can't recall anything else I did that day, but I can picture myself clearly sitting on my bed, glued to the tv, and holding my daughter as I had never held her before. And praying....oh how I prayed that day.
Seven years later, and although my life may be different than it would be if it had never happened, I really don't think its been dramatically effected in any particular way. But, in a lot of ways I know it has changed my life. That day really put a lot of things into perspective for me. I know that sounds cliche, but as a young mother I felt what it meant to really fear for my child's safety and future. And I realized just how precious of a gift I had been given, and how quickly it could be taken away. Although what was happening that day appeared to be a world away, it was still so close, and the possibilities of what was to come were endless.
My heart still goes out to those who's lives changed forever, and to those who fight everyday, and put their own lives on the line for the safety and future of my children. I will forever be grateful for their selflessness and bravery. So, today, I will participate in the "Moment of Silence" with the rest of the country in remembrance of those who lost their lives, and those who gave their lives on that horrific day and the days to follow. I will also thank God for His powerful covering of protection over my family and friends. Even through such tragic events I know He can do awesome and amazing things. I don't know how 9/11 touched your life, but I hope that you will take a moment to remember those whose lives it did effect and to embrace your family and tell them how much you love them for we never know what tomorrow might bring.
God Bless You All

1 comment:

Diane Davies said...

I remember it vividly too. The strange thing for me was that Eric and I traveled last Thursday (9/11) - on a plane!! I knew nothing was really going to happen but it was just kind of eerie.