Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Sammy's First Day of PreschoolYep...you read that right...Sammy has started preschool. It's hard to believe...I know!! It's kind of exciting, yet its kind of sad at the same time. I even had second thoughts about taking him before we left yesterday morning. Not because I think he's too little, but its more of a motherly thing...not wanting to let go. He loved it and Im really glad that he is going in all honesty. And, really, when we first signed him up I was sad becuase my last baby would be going to school...but now I get to do this one more time! Not sure if "get to" is the right choice of words, but you get the point.
Of course we had to get the traditional "first day of school" pics and he looked so grown up in his new duds! He's such a handsome lil boy (again with the mother thing...LOL!) The first day was Parent Day so I got to stay with him the whole time. Im thinking that was probably a good thing too. He has a bit to learn about how this whole school thing works...such as listening to the teacher and following the directions. It is really neat though to see him interacting with other kids and with his teachers. He had a great time playing in all the centers including the computer center. I think he felt like a big boy being able to play on the computer just like daddy. But, I think is favorite subject was and always will be "snack time!!"We also were able to meet with his speech teacher yesterday. We decided that he would really benifit from a little speech theropy and after meeting with his teacher I am confident that we made the right choice. Just in the ten minutes we had with her, he was already making progress. It was just really neat to see how she worked with him. She was very encouraging even if he didnt get it right, she still praised him for the effort! He seemed to enjoy her too and didnt even know he was learning!
The day, all in all, was a great success. He is really going to enjoy school, but I have to admit that I am going to miss him the few hours he's gone everyday. Tomorrow is my first day all by myself and Im really not sure what to do with myself. I'm sure I could make a list a mile long, but its the silence that is going to be hard...maybe I will turn Clifford on to make myself feel better.....

2 comments:

Callie said...

Isn't it weird how silence makes a SAHMamma go crazy? My mom took the kids the other night and usually if she has both of them it's cause we're going to dinner or something, well she took them so I could take a nap since my meds are so off.... anyways... it was sooo quiet that I had to turn on Nick to sleep!! Crazy!!

Jami said...

Your post reminded me so much of Serena starting kindergarten. I cried like a baby, went home and put on Bear in the Big Blue House! It lasted about 5 minutes, then I enjoyed my quiet day!!